There are a ton of talented people on WordPress. I cannot possibly follow all of them. I have a hard enough time keeping up with my Reader feed as it is! I have my favorite bloggers that I actively seek out and then I try to get to as many of the others as I can.
10 Biggest Mistakes I Made the First Year Blogging
Please welcome my new WordPress friend from gilesmeetsworld who has some terrific advice for all of us!
There are some people that take to blogging and smash it out of the park straight away, getting lots of followers and views in a very short time… But like most of us, I wasn’t one of those people. When I started out writing on my blog, I actually began to lose traffic as time […]
via The 10 Biggest Mistakes I Made in my First Year Blogging — gilesmeetsworld
When I first started using WordPress, I was completely lost. I had no idea how most things worked. Basically, I stumbled around and found my way. But it was mostly trial and error or lucky accident.
If you’re new, or even if you’re not, I’ve compiled a list here of helpful WordPress blogs, private blogs and other suggestions that may be of help to you.
I give myself very good advice … — Robbie’s inspiration
Please enjoy this delicious treat from Robbie’s blog. I’ve disabled comments here. Please visit Robbie’s blog to leave a comment.
My favourite Disney movie of all time is Alice in Wonderland. I feel I can relate to Alice who was so bored listening to a book being read by her sister that contained no pictures or conversations that she followed a talking white rabbit down a hole. My favourite song in Alice in Wonderland is […]
10 Tips For a Better Blogging Experience
I’ve been blogging off and on for about 5 years. During that time, I did not take advantage of the amazing community that WordPress has become to me until this past year. Don’t make the same mistake. I would like to share some of what I’ve learned with you. If you would like to expand your readership or enhance your WordPress experience, these points might be helpful. I do not claim to be any kind of expert. I just want to share my experience and possibly spare you some of the mistakes I’ve made.
- SHARE–The biggest lesson I’ve learned here is to share your knowledge. It will come back to you 10-fold. The bloggers on WordPress are incredibly generous with their knowledge. You should be just as generous.
- GIVE CREDIT–Be sure to give credit where credit is due. If you are copying an idea or using a photo, give credit to that person. They deserve it for their hard work!
- CONNECT–Step out and connect with other bloggers. As you develop relationships with these people, you will learn from them.
- ASK QUESTIONS–If you have questions about blogging or writing, ASK! If your recipe for bread dough is falling flat and you want help, ASK! Your fellow bloggers are more than willing to help!
- DO THE WORK–Your blog will flourish, depending on the amount of work you are willing to put into it. This is a mistake I made for a long time. Not only do you need to write and post here, but get around to other blogs. Read, comment, follow!
- SPREAD THE JOY–If you see a post that makes you laugh, or expands your knowledge, tell that person. Leave a comment! Reblog! It’s important!
- USE WORDPRESS–Wordpress has a ton of tutorials. There are also awesome WordPress blogs that will give you ongoing information if you follow them. Take advantage of this free information. WordPress wants to help you!
- BE ACTIVE–Be sure to respond to comments. Visit other’s blogs. Read, follow and comment.
- BE THANKFUL–Be gracious. Thank those that help you. Return the favor. Spread the love!
- BE ACTIVE–This was probably the biggest mistake I made. I do not post on a set-in-stone routine. I try to post a few times a week. If you do not post often enough, people will lose interest.
If you are not following the people on the list below, you should be. Please check out their blogs and Share the Love. In No Particular Order, this is a PARTIAL list of bloggers that have been incredibly helpful, supportive and encouraging during my journey on WordPress. (I say this is a partial list because I’m sure I will forget someone and for that oversight, I am truly sorry!)
Everyone Else Has the Best Titles
THANK YOU to each of you and those that I missed!!
Copyright (C) 2017 Penny Wilson
What a Blabber Mouth!
WordPress tells me that I have 200 Posts! I had no idea. Who knew I had so much to say! I consider myself a pretty quiet person. What a Blabber Mouth I am! 🙂
I enjoy my time on WordPress and have made some good connections and what I consider friendships. I enjoy checking in on my Favorite Bloggers to see how they are doing.
I’ve been doing my best (although it seems incredibly slow, I am making progress) to spend more time on my WIP novel. So I don’t get here as often as I used to. I know that I miss a lot as I scroll through the Reader.
So if you wonder why you haven’t seen the Likes or Comments from me that you used to, that’s why. Please know that I’m still here. I’m a little further in the background. But I’m still here, cheering you on!
THANK YOU to all of you that follow me. I’m a little overwhelmed and extremely flattered that you would bother to look in on me and my life.
I’ve spent the better part of this past weekend writing and submitting a couple of short stories online. The writing that I did has been Long over due.
I’ve been trying to post something nearly every day on WordPress. While this has been a terrific exercise to stretch my writing muscles, this and other activities have taken me away from my novel.
Writing about Writing
I find that my time here on WordPress has become therapeutic. Those of us that write have this inner voice that pushes us to the keyboard. I do. For me it’s a need, an itch I must scratch.
What I write here doesn’t amount to a hill of beans and there are times that I am surprised by the people that still follow me. (kind souls)
What I write here is an extension of me. It’s a way to express myself and to tell my story. MY story.
Writing affords me the freedom we mortals do not normally get in the real world. In my writing world, I have the power to do anything I wish. I can fly, sing, die and rise again. People are created, perish and do as I please them to do.
As a child I devoured books. I always had my nose in a book. It was my entertainment. It was my way to travel and experience the things I knew would never really happen to me in the real world.
I think this love of reading and love of books (thank you Mom), is why Writing is so important to me. I am now the one on the other side of that book cover, providing the escape, the entertainment and the fantasy to any who care to look.
Those of you close to me, I do want to caution you. What you see here is written For Me. If you don’t like it, fine. I didn’t write it for you. 🙂
This post has taken shape in a way that I did not expect. It always surprises me at what actually ends up on the page. I started out thinking about going down a very different path. But that’s alright. That “different path” can be another post at another time!