When I decided to purchase my home, I knew that buying a home this old (1925) would have its share of challenges. For a while, it seems that I was facing a new challenge, a new disaster, dailey. I’ve started to call these disasters “surprises”. My house was surprising me every day!
The photo above shows my latest Surprise!
When the builders of my home were putting this house together they did not carry the flooring continuously from room to room. There is a break in the flooring between each room. Some of the breaks are small, but some, like this one, are large.
The original thresholds are 1″ thick. A real trip hazard. Each of the existing thresholds are handmade specifically for that doorway opening. I decided to replace all of the thresholds with those that are more low profile. This has been no easy task. Some of the openings that I need to cover are 8″ wide. Also, most thresholds have a hole in the center to attach it to the floor. The first picture shows you why that won’t work for me.
I finally found a manufacturer that makes these beautiful boards. They are 1/2″ thick. While not as thin as I would like, they will be at least half as thick as the exisiting ones.
I filled in the huge gap with some of that spray foam insulation. The kind that expands after its sprayed. This was the perfect solution to fill in the gaping hole.
Then after cutting and staining the new boards, I put them in place. They are huge improvement over what was there.
My next project is the master bathroom. I’ll post some before and after pictures once I’ve completed that room. I hope you’ve enjoyed following along with me while I continue to work on my house. 🙂