Symptoms of Depression

Excessive sleeping.  I’ve completely slept the clock around. A recent stint was for 14 hours.  These days, I’m usually in bed between 8 and 9 pm.  Although, it has been as early as 7 on several occasions.

Constant fatigue. Just the effort it takes to get out of bed, or brush your hair seems mountainous. I simply do not have the energy to do the everyday tasks that I used to.  After work, the thing I want most, is to sleep. I’m too tired to cook, so I nuke a frozen dinner. I’m too tired to make the bed or change the sheets. “Oh well, maybe tomorrow” seems to be the normal phrase for such things. If it wasn’t for my little dog, on the weekends, I would not bother to get out of bed. Often on the weekends, I will spend the day in my pajamas and robe. The effort it takes to get dressed is just too much. If I need to get groceries, but that would mean getting dressed. “ Oh well, maybe tomorrow.”

Disinterest in things that usually bring you joy. I have many things at home that can occupy my time.  I crochet, sew, garden, write, and do various crafts. I also have a house that needs a LOT of TLC. But what do I do instead? If I can, I sleep. If I can’t sleep, the smaller the amount of energy it takes to do something, the better.

Isolating yourself. Even though going down to the local burger joint and ordering dinner, is the easiest way to get dinner, it also requires me to be seen in public. If I can avoid people, I would rather do that than risk having to interact with anyone. I grocery shop only when I HAVE to and then, I go very early in the morning when the stores are less crowded. I have NO social life, because I isolate myself. I don’t go out, I do not accept invitations to outings. I stay home. In my pajamas. And sleep.

Lack of concentration. I can forget what I’m doing, just about WHEN I’m doing it. An example: I am sitting at my desk, writing and think that I need to pull that magazine out so I can reference it in my writing. I turn toward the drawer, open it, and have NO idea why I opened it or what I was going to do. Sometimes it will come to me but other times it doesn’t. I forget to do things that I tell someone that I will do. I was NEVER like that. If I said it would get done, you could count on it.

Persistent thoughts of hopelessness, sadness, or emptiness. I wonder about my choice to live alone. Being alone… My life is very blessed, but the feelings of emptiness creep in. We all have a past. My youth was… interesting. I find me berating myself for decisions I made 30+ years ago. I beat myself up about things that happened long ago.

What does each one of these things have in common? They are all symptoms of depression. This list is far from complete, but it will give you an idea of what it’s like to have depression. Depression is much more than sadness.

Depressed people become very good at hiding their symptoms. We put on a brave face, smile and go to work, or take care of the kids, or go out to dinner with our spouse. Outwardly, we are fine. No one would know the internal struggle we are having.

This is the reason so many people that are depressed and commit suicide are never found out by their loved ones until it’s too late.

This is also the reason that I write about it. To bring depression out of the dark and into the light where it can be acknowledged and talked about. Where the person affected can get the help that they need.

Depression is an illness. There is no shame in it. Let’s get real here, people. This is Real Life. In real life, people become depressed. It happens. There is no reason to sweep it under the rug, to hide it.

If you or a loved one is having symptoms of depression, please seek help. Talk to your doctor, a friend, a teacher, just TALK to someone.

If your friend or family member is showing signs of depression, TALK to them. Listen to what they say about how they are feeling. Sometimes, just knowing that there IS someone that cares, is a comfort.

Depression is the #1 reason behind suicide. If you or your loved one needs help, these phone numbers are where you can get help for yourself or that loved one.

The Suicide Prevention Hotline, available 24/7 is 1-800-273-8255

Is talking to someone too much for you?  It was for me in the past at times.  There is a Crisis Text Line.  Text 741741 and you can text with a counselor.

You can even TWEET with a crisis counselor at @800273TALK on Twitter.

As always, thank you for joining me on this journey. ❤ Penny

Penny Wilson is a freelance writer who writes in several genres. She has written articles for WOW Women on Writing. Her poetry has been published in online journals, such as Ariel Chart, Spill Words Press and the Poppy Road Review. Penny is a member of the Austin Poetry Society. Her poetry has been featured in the publication America's Emerging Poets 2018 by Z Publishing and in the Poets Quarterly published by Prolific Press in Spring/2019. You can find more of her writings on her blog at https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow her on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in depression and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Symptoms of Depression

1. dolphinwrite says:

For many, depression may be the results of genes, difficulties while growing up, and such. I do believe all too many haven’t found their place in life. Having a lack of focus from early on can result in years of frustration, overthinking, and eventually depression. That, of course, is just one aspect.

Liked by 1 person

2. imrhandom says:

I sleep all day and never find time to study as I’m tired all the time. I can’t even concentrate which is resulting in my low grades. my family is so disappointed and I don’t know what to do…

• I’m not an expert, but my best advise to you is to TALK to someone. If you can’t or don’t want to talk to your parents, talk to your doctor, a teacher, someone at your church. Someone you can trust. Be completely HONEST with them about how you are feeling. I remember quite clearly, sitting in my doctor’s office, crying and sobbing because I was so sad All. the. time. for no reason. That was my first step for finding help. Here are some more options:

The Suicide Prevention Hotline, available 24/7 is 1-800-273-8255
      Is talking to someone too much for you? It was for me in the past at times. There is a Crisis Text Line. Text 741741 and you can text with a counselor.
      You can even TWEET with a crisis counselor at @800273TALK on Twitter.

There is more help on my page Depression and Mental Health Help, which you can find here: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/getting-help-for-depression-mental-health/

Please DO seek help! I wish you the very best! ❤ ❤ ❤ Penny

3. marlagibson says:

Thank you for the post. I always find this verse consoling when my depression starts to flare. Psalms 34:18,19.

4. I love your raw and transparent honesty here! Thank for sharing openly! ❤

5. dolphinwrite says:

Thanks for all the shares. I have a couple friends dealing with these difficulties, one with serious issues from her past. Almost all people, at one time or other, deals with emotional difficulties. Friends, family, and work issues can all add to the stress. **I wanted to share one thing. It may not be a cure-all, but I’ve had a couple friends that shared this helps them. They remember the good times. They write down things in their lives, past and present, that brings a smile, and one writes a gratitude list. She also has learned to look at things “differently,” as from a distance. Not always. But she has learned, without too much effort, to “see” a problem, look at it, but not stay immersed. I guess the distance helps. She explained to me I had helped her in a way I never realized. Once, I had explained how I can learn anything (i.e. school subjects, fixing things, and even training animals) simply by observing, something I learned while at a university. By distancing myself from the problems at the university, I could see quickly the solutions, cutting down study time to almost nothing (90% of my study was while the teacher lectured.). Apparently, she started using this understanding in her adult college courses, then found with time that she could “distance” herself from her emotional issues. The issues were still there, but she got relief from the constant worries. She seems happier. **We’d be interested in other’s stories.

Liked by 1 person

• I understand your logic here. It makes a lot of sense. The issue that I personally have had with depression is that there does not have to be a “reason”. You don’t Know why you are in this dark pit of a world. You have no control over the darkness that seeps into every bit of your everyday life. It’s more complicated, at least for me. There IS ‘situational’ depression where you can be thrown into that dark place because of a situation.
      Thank you for your visit and your kind comment. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. Thanks for sharing. Trying to overcome my depression now. 🙏🏻

7. The excessive sleeping is something I can relate to and is a sure sign I am depressed. I nap like it’s going out of style. But I’m working on it. Thanks for the post!

Liked by 1 person

8. Itistime says:

Yup this sums me up, and my therapist says I have severe depression

9. Thank you, you nailed it. I have all of these depression symptoms, though they go up and down in intensity. I spend too much time in bed (sleeping or staring at the wall if I can’t sleep), wear the same old yoga pants for days on end, long for close friendship but don’t reach out to people, have trouble remembering the paragraph I just read… Ugh, it’s the pits.

I try really hard–give myself routines, make an effort even when I’m not in the mood (well, not always, but a lot), create affirmations for myself, read things that inspire me… but sometimes it’s SUCH an uphill battle. I agree that it’s important to get the word out so as many people as possible can come to understand what it is like, and also that it is not our fault!

Liked by 1 person

10. Hilary Tan says:

I had these symptoms along with suicidal ideation, but it’s situational for me. Everything I worked for in school literally crumbled within the last couple of weeks. I found out I have to wait 9 months to repeat this semester that I was getting A’s and B+’s in, including a class I had finished with an A. Have to repeat everything as they forced me to withdraw. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, as I am now going to heal and get better (somehow). I started taking antidepressants but ik they rake 2-6 weeks to kick in, along with exercising more because I’m impatient and honestly want to start feeling alive rather than dead inside all the time.

Liked by 2 people

• I’m so sorry about your experience with school. How awful! There are several types of depression; situational being one of them. This makes it no less real than the others, it was simply brought about by a “situation”. Thank you for the comment and for the visit. Stay strong, Hillary. I know that sometimes the thing that keeps me going is simply knowing that I WILL come out the other side and back into the light at some point.

Liked by 2 people

11. Penny, this post should be read by everyone. Everyone. Your specific examples take the word “depression” and make it real, in real-life terms we can all understand. Thank you for continuing to shine the light on this illness. You are making a powerful difference.

Liked by 3 people

12. I’d add an important symptom most people don’t associate with depression – extreme irritability. This is my ‘warning sign’ that I’m spiraling. I get snappy and (metaphorically) stabby. People just annoy the absolute snot out of me… and then the depression kicks in with all those joyous symptoms you’ve listed above. Isn’t it wonderful?

Liked by 2 people

13. Lee Dunn says:

Thank you, Penny, for the most excellent post. Every word is all too familiar for me.

Liked by 4 people