New Year and Depression

As the end of the year approaches, we all tend to reflect on what has happened over the course of the year.  I want to go back a little further than that.

In May of 2017, I came out of a several-years-long depression.  I remember it so clearly.  It was like a veil had been lifted and I was seeing the world for the first time.

With this in mind, I looked back at my stats for the last couple of year here on WordPress.

You can clearly see that in 2017 there was a good-sized spike in my activity here.  That new enthusiasm to write was due to the “awakening” from my depression.

My Most Viewed post of all time has been one I titled Depression-A-Killer.  That tells me that there is still a HUGE need for enlightenment, awareness and information.  The stigma remains, but I do think that the battle to end it is making progress.

Why do I write about Depression?   EVERY DAY 121 Americans commit suicide.  50% of those people suffered from depression.  Reason enough?  I thought so too. If you need help -The Suicide Prevention Hotline, available 24/7 is 1-800-273-8255  Is talking to someone too much for you?  It was for me at times.  There is a Crisis Text Line.  Text 741741 and you can text with a counselor.

The one thing in my life that I am most thankful for is the end of my depression.  Depression took so much from me, it feels amazing to have my life back.  I’m happier than I’ve ever been and my life is full and rich.  I have many, many blessings.

If you would like to see any of the other pieces I’ve written about Depression, you can find those HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

As you can see this is a subject that is important to me. 🙂 ❤

As we go into a new year, I want to thank all of you that have joined me on this up and down journey.  I hope that each of you are blessed with every happiness your heart could desire.

Penny ❤

Copyright (C) 2018 Penny Wilson

Penny Wilson is a freelance writer who writes in several genres. She has written articles for WOW Women on Writing. Her poetry has been published in online journals, such as Ariel Chart, Spill Words Press and the Poppy Road Review. Penny is a member of the Austin Poetry Society. Her poetry has been featured in the publication America's Emerging Poets 2018 by Z Publishing and in the Poets Quarterly published by Prolific Press in Spring/2019. You can find more of her writings on her blog at https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow her on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in depression, Life, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to New Year and Depression

1. Lizzie says:

How did you gain a blog community? I’m longing to find others who can relate to everything I’ve been through and continue to go through, but I’m not so great at this social media thing. Suggestions? You’re an inspiration!

• Thank you, Lizzie! No one has ever called me an inspiration before! On WordPress, you will find a warm and welcoming community. Building that community does take time. Explore other blogs. Read and comment on those pieces that touch you. Follow those blogs if you want to. Soon, people will start following you back and finding your blog just like you found theirs. Always be kind with your comments and you will reap the rewards. Any community has a few jerks, but I’ve found that on WP, those are few and far between. Welcome to WordPress!
      If you would like to read other pieces I’ve written about Depression, just search “depression” in my archives. You’ll find several.
      Happy blogging, Lizzie. 🙂 ❤

2. The Reader says:

Dear Penny, thank you so much for your post on depression. I have lived with it mostly all of my life and watched my family struggle and parents die from illness. I have severe mental illness I believe all the stress, they say that psychosis and schizophrenia are genetic. Please read my blog and if you like my honesty regarding my life please follow me as I’m new to this! all the best Amelia x

3. Only Michy says:

Thanks for spreading the word about mental illness. There needs to be more people to open up about this so there can be less of a stigma. Keep doing your thing!

4. Michael says:

Onwards n upwards P!

5. I really enjoyed reasons your blogs.please check out mine. New member struggling with the daily battle xx

6. That statistic is horrifying, Penny. I am happy for your and wish you all the very best for 2019.

7. Ah! It’s so important to know stories of people who’ve battled Depression and have come out victorious. Thank you for taking the effort to post this. Happy New year to you & your loved ones Penny.

8. Great post, Penny! Thanks so much for having the willingness and courage to share this with us!! This is a heartfelt thanks from me as I lost my brother at 25 years old from an intentional OD. It is my honor to pass this on to my followers!!

Happy New Year to you, My Dear! I am so glad to see the blessings you have been enjoying! Thanks for the sweet wishes!!!
    xoxoxo
    Chuck

9. Sue Vincent says:

Depression is still so badly misunderstood… it is paralysing.
    Happy new year to you, Penny.

10. trentpmcd says:

I am glad that you overcame the depression. I think it is great that you continue to put the word out 🙂

11. Penny, I am thankful for your continuing efforts to write on the topic of depression. It is so important to raise awareness to help those dealing with depression and those who love them. Your writing blesses us. Thank you.

I am thankful that you personally have risen from the darkness of depression into the light. You go, girl. You are strong. You are incredible.

12. So happy for you Penny. May your days be blessed with light and love.