This Bugs The Crap Out of Me!

Does this bother anyone else?  Being an avid reader and now a Writer, I’ve become a bit of a “word snob”.  If I’m reading along and I find errors, I cringe.  Or depending on the publication, it bugs the hell out of me!  I think to myself “these people should know better!”

Now, some of these things seem to be quite acceptable in the English language.  But they still make me cringe or blush even!  Here’s a list of the most irritating words/phrases that are used in writing that just Bug the Living Hell out of me!

Hella  As in “That was a hella good pizza.”  Dumb, just dumb.

Ain’t  I know, I know, this is quite acceptable.  But I still don’t like it and I don’t HAVE to like it!!

Anyways This is used instead of the word anyway.  Leave the damned “S” off of the end!!

I seen  Man, if you ever want to REALLY piss me off, use this phrase!  I HATE this!

Y’all  Ok, I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, especially now that I live in Texas!  I find the use of this more funny than irritating.  I find it especially funny if I find it in writing or correspondence.

I’m not perfect, but I think Miss Stiff would be proud.  🙂

Am I leaving anything out?  Are there words or phrases that irritate you?

Copyright (C) 2018 Penny Wilson

*Day two of my self-imposed post-a-day.  🙂

Penny Wilson is a freelance writer who writes in several genres. She's had a successful blog with a growing and loyal following for more than 5 years. Penny has written articles for Counseling Directory .org, Introvert Dear .com, and WOW Women on Writing. Her poetry has been published on Ariel Chart, a monthly online Journal, Spill Words Press and the Poppy Road Review. She is currently working on her first novel. You can find more of her writings on her blog at: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow her on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in Writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to This Bugs The Crap Out of Me!

1. I seen really bothers me too. Along with the incorrect use of your and you’re and there and their. Grrr. As for ain’t and y’all, you better not read my Guns of Perdition when it comes out; the characters are all about ain’t and y’all!! Mind you, they are in the 1800s Wild West so maybe they have a reason to be uncouth 🤗👍

2. 80smetalman says:

I live in the UK and I have a constant uphill battle convincing British people that not all Americans use phrases like those.

3. jaya says:

I hear Anyways and Awesome too often, and always very smugly, in the See,I know English kind of manner. My self control is wearing thin!

4. Michael says:

***Sniggers*** 😉

5. Bring it to her over there. It should be “take.” The other newer thing is not word use but punctuation–I don’t like the period or comma in the middle space between two sentences.

6. I am pretty forgiving with informal writing, but seeing bad grammar or words that aren’t words in supposedly professional publications makes me doubt the legitimacy of the so-called professional organization.

7. WaltPage says:

Hi seen your post and y’all are spot on! ☺❤

8. Well, Howdy there my fellow Texan! Ha! I know what you mean. It’s like you are sailing along reading a poem and “Bang” you read something that seems as if you hit a pothole! Good luck with the “Y’all” thing! I haven’t gotten used to it either. Not something you hear in my home state of California!
    xoxo

9. trentpmcd says:

Hey Y’all! This is one hella post! Ain’t it sweet,though. I seen nothing like it in a while. Anyways, keep up the good work!

(Couldn’t help myself 😉 )

10. I dislike the overused, meaningless word “awesome.”

11. I’m a terrible grammar snob! I do recognize that our good friend spell ck works against us at times.

12. “Where the lightbulbs at?” or any variation. I know ending sentences with prepositions is getting more acceptable, but “at” is the worst.

13. Michael says:

Once you start reading a lot of blogs you do find reason to cringe. I often say nothing as I fear I make enough errors of my own, but I see your point about y’all!!