Reading Habits

My reading habits have changed a lot over the years.  When I was a kid, I read All. The. Time.  Every chance I got, I had my nose in a book.  After I grew up and moved away from home, I still read quite a bit, but not to the extent I did as a kid.

I seem to go through phases where I read a lot and then I don’t read at all.  Right now, it’s like NOTHING holds my attention.  Or I just cannot get interested in a book.  They ALL bore me!  Craziness!

Another thing about reading habits… As a kid I read everything I could get my hands on.  If it had adult content, all the better.  I looked at mature subjects as a mystery or a puzzle.  In my mind, if I could just figure out that puzzle, I would have the mysteries of life solved!

I was reading Poe and Shakespeare as a little kid.  I didn’t really understand a lot of Shakespeare, but that didn’t stop me from trying!  I kept a dictionary close by and would look up every word I didn’t understand.  Which was a lot!

But that meant I was learning!  No matter what I was reading, I was learning.

As a young girl I pretty much gushed poetry.  I know many of my female followers will understand this.  Being female, I think it’s just part of our makeup to be “mushy”.  🙂  I wrote a lot of bad poetry and read a lot of poetry as a child.

The author didn’t matter to me.  If they were unfamiliar, all the better.  I would pour over those heartfelt mushy verses, trying to understand the language.  I hoped to unlock the mystery of adulthood.  (I was quite anxious to grow up.)

I follow a lot of bloggers on WP and do not have the time or the energy to read everything that is in my Reader Feed.  I wish I did!  I do love seeing the different poetry styles and Flash Fiction is a way for me to get a quick reading fix.

What do you read away from WordPress?  Poetry?  Novels?  Short Stories?  I’d like to know.  Leave me a comment!

Copy (C) 2018 Penny Wilson

I am a freelance writer that writes in several genres. I've had a successful blog with a growing and loyal following for more than 5 years. I've written articles for Counseling Directory .org, Introvert Dear .com, and WOW Women on Writing. My poetry has been published on Ariel Chart, a monthly online Journal and Spill Words Press. I'm currently working on my first novel. You can find more of my writings on my blog at: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow me on Twitter @pennywilson123.

45 Responses to Reading Habits

1. Influencing Angel says:

I’ve always loved reading to and used to spend a lot of time doing so. I’ve loved mysteries and when I was young read all the Nancy Drew and hardy boys mysteries. As I got older I started reading Dean Koontz and Steven King. I also would read poetry as I loved the mushy stuff to. It’s harder for me to read long periods like I used to as my readers are even bad for me and I get headaches. Lately I just been pushing through for as long as I can take it. I’m glad I found your post about your dad today. I have a new blog I will following closely. Have a great day and many in blessing to you.

Liked by 1 person

2. As far as blogs go, I read each one. Some have a ‘like’ button that I can click to let them know I visited; some I have to go to Facebook to read. For short stories, I do a scan more than a read. Us avid readers, like you, can usually tell in the first few sentences if the story is worth the time. I like mystery, light romance, some westerns and some sci-fi.

3. Maybe you’re just a binge reader? I read a lot – mainly historical fiction because I review it, but also history, history, and more history. Nonfiction seems to be my jam these days. I have had trouble focusing as well. I blame the internet – it’s so easy to lose focus – just click click click all the time. It breeds short attention spans.

4. Mysteries are my go-to genre. I also read some nonfiction, whatever interests me and many magazines, newspapers and online content. Read, read, read. Write, write, write.

5. Pingback: Reading Habits — Penny Wilson Writes – Dark Side of the Moon

6. Reading — ahh…it’s like a hot bath on a cold winter night. I love to talk about reading– and I love your photo with your post! I love CS Lewis–still love childrens fiction honestly, and some self-help inspirational stuff, Tim Keller, he’s good. Thanks for the great topic! OH and poetry–mostly if it’s about nature, or life’s ups and downs, but not too long and dark– or Haiku of course.

7. I’ve been reading a book every week or so for my entire life – these days, it’s usually poetry, mysteries, spy thrillers, and biographies

Liked by 1 person

8. Nomadic Worlds says:

I love books and I’m an inmate, ahem, member of Goodreads. I love fiction best but I have a varied taste in books so I read pretty much every genre. Maybe you’re in a reading slump and that’s why all books bore you these days?

9. lindaluna583 says:

I know exactly how you feel. As a child and teen my nose was always in a book, and I read a wide variety of books. Nowadays the vast majority of the books and articles I read are either devotional in nature or instructional (mostly how to run my business and how to get published). I also read both modern and classic poetry.

10. Great post! I read novels, because I’m trying to write one, but lately I’ve been picking up more short story collections (Bonnie Jo Campbell’s _Mothers, Tell Your Daughters_ at the moment). It’s easier to pick up and put down, if I know I can get a “fiction fix” in a few short pages. To that end, I’ve been reading–and writing–more flash in the past couple years. Maybe I’m losing patience!

11. trentpmcd says:

Currently The Stand by Stephan King. I don’t read as much as I once did, but then, there have been times I read less. From 10 – 30 where my reading years…

12. Just_Me :) says:

Mostly novels… but reading less and less because of work… Hope to catch up on my reading… very relatable post! 😊

13. WaltPage says:

Currently just started reading Origin by Dan Brown. I enjoy Carl Hiassen and books written by Jimmy Buffett. 😊

14. I mostly read poetry unless there is some prose which catches my attention.I guess its impossible to read all the content from the bloggers we follow. So I have divided my days and grouped them.hehe

15. I write humor, so when I’m not writing, I go in a totally different direction. I love fantasy, with strong characters, I enjoy getting lost in the stories. I also read selective horror and science fiction. No gore, or ax murderers, and my science fiction, needs to be based on real science. I like medical thrillers, especially those by Robin Cook. One of my favorite writers is Dean Koontz. I particularly like his Odd Thomas books.

16. Donnalee says:

I used to read all the time too from childhood onward, and then a ton of scholarly stuff, and now the only thing I have been reading is older Regency romances, maybe one a night in bed before sleep. They are mild enough for me, since I am just not into hardcore violence or sex in reading. I am actually writing a book about my view of tarot after having gotten electrocuted and having been dead and all, but the other reading is generally this Regency material. Some of it deals with very mature themes of social injustice and war, and ptsd and all. Earlier Carla Kelly books are especially humaane on these issues.

17. Michael says:

Comic books for me. 2000ad. And graphic novels. Lots of those. I’ve a couple of books on the go usually but they okay second fiddle to things with pictures 🙂