Slip Sliding Away

I had it.  Dammit!  I did!  I had the Perfect line!

I’ve been playing around with an idea for a poem.  It may still happen.  I’ve got a rough draft.

I was sitting outside with my little dog while he did his business and thought of the PERFECT line for this poem.   I thought, “Oh, I’ve got to go inside and write this down RIGHT NOW.”  So I quickly go back into the house.

Buy the time I get in the house, sit down and open up the laptop, its gone.  It just slipped away!  Arrrrrgh!!  I’ve got just a whisp, a hint, of what it was and I wrote that down, but it’s not the ONE.

SO frustrating!

Do you have things like this happen when you write?  What do you do to solve it?

Copyright (C) 2018 Penny Wilson

I am a freelance writer that writes in several genres. I've had a successful blog with a growing and loyal following for more than 5 years. I've written articles for Counseling Directory .org, Introvert Dear .com, WOW Women on Writing and Ariel Chart, a monthly online Journal. I'm currently working on my first novel. You can find more of my writings on my blog at: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow me on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Slip Sliding Away

1. matt1808 says:

I keep small wallet sized notepads next to my bed, in the living room, bathroom, dining room, kitchen and even on the patio for those moments something does come up

2. Take a shower. Ok, that sounded rather rude, but there is something soothing about the water and you have no distractions other than lathering up. The trick is to remember the line long enough to get out of the shower and write it down. OH! Put your phone on record and just speak the line when it comes to you. I find the shower trick is good for problem-solving, too. Good luck my dear, I’m sure it will come back to you, but oh the frustration till it does!

3. It happens to every writer. Sometimes I’ll wake up at night with that perfect string of words, repeating it rather than rising to write. I always regret my laziness because, by wake up time, I’ve lost the words. You would think I would learn. But Minnesota winters make rising from a warm bed difficult.

4. yes – I pray to St Anthony, my patron saint of lost things

5. WaltPage says:

Happens more often the older I get 😊

6. 80smetalman says:

Thoughts come and go with me all the time.

7. Always. I just look at as it wasn’t meant to be. But sometimes it comes back days later, in which case it becomes “try again”!! 😊

8. Yes it happens but sometimes comes back a better and more thoughtful one

9. Oh no, Penny, that is a nuisance. I wrote a little poem yesterday on a scrap of paper, like I always do, and I have lost it!

10. sorryless says:

I hate that!

I tend to write down any random words that come into my head whilst I’m rummaging, in the hopes there is a subconscious clue hidden in there somewhere. Doesn’t usually work though lol.

11. Yup happened a lot toll I stated making voice tags on the phone as soon as the inspiration strikes.Hope this helps.

12. Michael says:

All the time and it’s never as good when you remember just bits

13. I’d say sleep on it; if it was “the one” it’ll come to you! Best of luck!

14. r.Douglas says:

The poem wasn’t meant to be, I could proffer, but I don’t believe that. Go back outside and juxtapose that lost moment. And good luck.