Friends I’ve Never Met

I’ve been blogging off and on now for 6 plus years.  In that time, I’ve seen bloggers come and go.  I’ve done the same thing.  There has been times when my blog went cold for months and at other times I’ve written every day.

If you spend much time on WordPress, you get to know a person’s writing style.  There are bloggers I seek out, if I don’t happen to see them in my Reader Feed, because I especially enjoy their blog.

Everything I write, whether it is true life or fiction, is a part of me.  We can’t help but let a little bit of our lives flow over into our writing.  Because of this fact, I’ve come to “know” these people whose work I read.  I get a little glimpse into their lives with every post.  I’ve come to think of many of them as friends. Even though, I know I will most likely never meet them.

I would like to tell you a little bit about these friends I will never meet and what I’ve learned.

*I’m not going to use real names or real blog names.  My intent is NOT to embarrass anyone.  If you happen to see yourself in this narrative, take it as a compliment that your words were important enough to me to pay attention to what was really happening in your life.

There’s the quirky guy that has had a pretty tough time with life.  (as many of us have)  He’s an alcoholic.  I love his blog!  He writes from the heart and doesn’t pull any  punches.  You never know what is going to come out of this guy’s mouth!  But you can bet that it’s real and it’s honest!  Then he will throw you for a loop and write some gorgeous, romantic poetry that just takes your breath away.

The woman that is disabled, spending her days in a wheelchair.  This woman is amazingly intelligent and writes some of the most profound things!

The retired man, an aging hippie 🙂  that writes the most incredibly, romantic and beautiful poetry.  This man is having a pretty tough time, but his words are like art!  He’s talented beyond belief and his writing brings such happiness.

A woman that has found herself with a terrible, debilitating disease.  She writes about her life and her hardships.  But most of the time, she has such joy in her words.  Her blog , is quirky and at times, hilarious!

A man that is quite accomplished.  He has several books published.  He is struggling with a lot of pain in his life and is taking a great deal of medication.  His life is not an easy one.  He writes frequently and his poetry is wonderful!

There’s the woman trying to lose weight, the doctor that writes about life behind the scenes, the teacher that writes about crazy students, the guy with the eating disorder and the proud dad that writes about the crazy mishaps of parenthood.  There are many more.  But this gives you an idea.

You can’t help but have your heart strings tugged at when you read about these people’s lives.  After a while, you care.  You just can’t help it; you care.

So that’s why I call these (and others) my friends.  Although I will probably never meet them.  I’m thankful and glad that each one of you are a part of my life.

Copyright (C) 2017 Penny Wilson

I am a freelance writer that writes in several genres. I've had a successful blog with a growing and loyal following for more than 5 years. I've written articles for Counseling Directory .org, Introvert Dear .com, and WOW Women on Writing. My poetry has been published on Ariel Chart, a monthly online Journal and Spill Words Press. I'm currently working on my first novel. You can find more of my writings on my blog at: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow me on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Friends I’ve Never Met

1. This is nice. I’m happy to find yours. Thanks for sharing

2. Dreamer9177 says:

I know exactly what you mean. My blog has its fits and starts. There are those who write that I treasure dearly as friends although we have never met in person.

3. Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing. 🙂

4. annj49 says:

I LOVE that pic! 😀
    Reblogged your post….

Liked by 1 person

5. annj49 says:

Reblogged this on Ann's Corner and commented:
    I enjoyed this. Strangers are just friends we haven’t met yet.

I had fun trying to figure out the bloggers whose descriptions are mentioned in this article and I may have the answer to two of the descriptions. Not sure, but it’s fun guessing 😉

Liked by 1 person

6. bravingmentalillness says:

I’ve met so many inspiring and nice people, I’d call them my friends too! My blog buddies have been more welcoming than I expected and I’m so grateful 🙏🏾🙏🏼🙏🏿🙏🏻🙏🏽🙏😊

7. Reblogged this on Art by Rob Goldstein and commented:
    A lovely post from Penny Wilson

8. Beautifully said! I feel so close to so many people I’ve never seen.

9. Pingback: The Last One of 2017! Weekly Inspiration Roundup Vol. 25 | When Women Inspire

10. Christy B says:

I totally know what you mean about the friends we meet through blogging, Penny! Happy to find your blog here today 🙂

Liked by 1 person

11. You are so right. I’ve met some lovely people on WordPress and I consider myself very lucky to have found such a great community. Hugs to you, Penny. You are a gem!

12. Glad to have you in my life too Penny x

13. AJ says:

While I’m a newbie to the blogging world, I’ve noticed the supportive and friendly nature of bloggers. In many ways, relationships seem more… committed… than one might see on Facebook, etc. I think it is because people are more willing to share what they truly think and feel, warts and all, to their readers. There is honesty in that you may not see in other forms of social media.

14. I understand exactly, Penny. And you never know…some of these blogger friends may become real-life friends. I’ve met, and become in-person friends, with at least six bloggers. Maybe more.

I appreciate your sharing of the many talented writers you follow. They sound like strong and creative individuals.

Liked by 1 person

15. Wow! I love this. It’s like we’re family in a way.

Liked by 1 person

16. WaltPage says:

It is we, your followers, who are blessed, just by knowing you 😃💛