Finding Inspiration

Despair makes for an interesting muse.   I write a wide variety of things.  Poetry, short stories, fiction and non fiction.  I find that my sad or darker stuff is usually better than something that is more light-hearted.  I also find that I seek out the keyboard more readily if I am in a darker place than if I’m happy, as a way to express myself.

I have a theory about why this is the case.

In  most instances, I cannot verbally take out my frustrations or get physical (kick some ass!) on the offensive oaf that has put me in such a foul mood.

I cannot  throw myself off the roof tops or step in front of a bus to express my frustration.  This, I’m sure, would be counter-productive.  🙂

I cannot bury myself under the covers and hide from the world.  Although, I have resorted to this briefly in the past.

I am not one to seek revenge.  You crap on me, I simply shut you out of my life and carry on.  At least that is the way that it looks, for all outward appearances.

So, I take to the keyboard and bleed onto the page.  Figuratively, of course.  This is my release.  The key board is where I can express in written form, that which cannot be voiced aloud.

The picture?  No reason.  I’m a Pisces, so I’ve always had a love for King Neptune.  I just thought it was cool.  🙂

What pushes you to the keyboard?

Copyright (C) 2017 Penny Wilson

I am a freelance writer that writes in several genres. I've had a successful blog with a growing and loyal following for more than 5 years. I've written articles for Counseling Directory .org, Introvert Dear .com, and WOW Women on Writing. My poetry has been published on Ariel Chart, a monthly online Journal and Spill Words Press. I'm currently working on my first novel. You can find more of my writings on my blog at: https://pennywilsonwrites.com/ and follow me on Twitter @pennywilson123.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized, Writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Finding Inspiration

1. Kally says:

Such an inspiring post. Thank you for sharing this post with us. Have a great weekend!

2. Thats one way of getting out your frustrations and quite effective if I must say so. I thinking writing is a good self soothing therapy.🙂

3. Lis says:

Yeh that’s similar to me…a lot of the pieces I write are “darker” than the average. I just find it easier to access that side in my writing than lighthearted pieces…a lot of the time it’s not even based on what I’m feeling but maybe someone else I know or maybe it just comes out of nowhere. Either way, most of my pieces are quite dark, but I guess I like it that way 🙂
    x

4. OneHundredandOnePursuits says:

I put pen to paper and fingers to keys simply because I love to write. I love to read what I’ve written back to myself and somehow it makes me feel accomplished and at peace. Once I start I struggle to stop. When I write it leads to a deeper level of thinking and when I write regularly, the hours I am not writing seem to be spent more productively and more positively in spirit. I guess writing seems to me to be a form of yoga for the mind.

5. ammuhashmi says:

Damn relatable…same reason works for me too….you mind taking a look at my blogs?

Liked by 1 person

6. It has been an incredible journey of healing from 10 years trapped in domestic violence, and great to be a voice for others caught in hopeless situations stemming from life. Written words are a gift from the heart!

Liked by 2 people

7. Pingback: Finding Inspiration — Penny Wilson Writes – Living Well Rituals

8. I’m the same. My dark writing is a reflection of my innermost pains that wish to be set free. So, I get the pen or keyboard and release those pains.

9. Nick Tarnow says:

I can relate to shutting people out instead of retaliating. Your word choice is amazing and the post went very smoothly along. Great work and thanks for the insight 🙂

10. Ben Aqiba says:

Hi Penny,

you have a wonderful blog here..I love this post . Thank you

11. Darkness for me seems to provide the most compelling content. The hardest part is this: I like to express the darkness with humour (we all deserve to laugh – even at the crap stuff!)… necessarily, this means a big time-gap between initial drafts (writing during the dark, or as you put it: “I take to the keyboard and bleed onto the page”), editing (seeing the humorous side) and publishing (hopefully something that is capable of expressing both)!

Great post – thank you!

Liked by 1 person

12. Very interesting to read about your inspiration, Penny. I find that I am inspired if I am in state of high emotion whether it be joy or sadness, angry or delight. Any emotion enables me to reach into my self and produce poetry or words.

13. Nicolle says:

Interesting post! I’m on the flip side; I can’t write if I’m feeling down and I write better when I’m feeling better. 😆

Liked by 1 person

14. So well put, I too write better when I’m angry, distressed or sad. Happiness seems to leave me mute. That’s good too though because sometimes we need to rest. Great post 🙂

Liked by 1 person

15. I just remember stuff. Things amuse me. My life has been amusing. I just write it all down to amuse myself…and my friends. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

16. I too write better when i am unhappy. It is a way to release the angst. I can write when happy but i feel it does not have the same flow.

17. WaltPage says:

What pushes me to the keyboard? Simple. I’m a writer. I write. It’s who I am. It’s what I do. No complex reasons. No soul-searching. No heart wrenching thought process. I’m a writer. I’m a poet. I write. 😃💛

Liked by 1 person

18. Great post–you’ve gained a new follower! As a fiction writer, myself, I too am drawn to write more when I’m in a darker or more contemplative mood. A famous female writer (can’t remember who at the moment–so maybe not too famous!) said: “Happy women don’t write.” She was a widow, who wrote to feed her family, so not the same as the muse showing up more at low times than high, but still… Maybe you’d check out my site?

19. Mr. Mel says:

I think you are in good company Penney. Writing can very stress relieving.

20. Michael says:

Having only recently started doing this I realised that I simply enjoyed putting onto paper the things that have always been in my head. I don’t particularly mind who reads it and who doesn’t at the moment, pleasure comes from simply creating something

21. I write for therapy – and to stave off senility